Ingrown Toenails Treatment Katy
Foot doctor for ingrown toenails in Katy, Cypress, Galleria, & Memorial.
The American Podiatric Medical Association notes that ingrown nails are a common problem seen by podiatrists. An ingrown nail develops when the corner of the nail grows and digs painfully into the side tissue of the nail, often leading to irritation, redness, and swelling. The big toe often gets infected, but other toes can develop ingrown nails as well.
To avoid getting an ingrown toenail, follow these tips.
- Trim nails straight across with proper toenail clippers.
- Wear shoes that fit comfortably – not too tight or too loose. Tight shoes will crowd your toes and can lead to injury of other toes. Loose shoes can put too much pressure on your toes and may cause an ingrown toenail.
- Avoid wearing narrow and pointed shoes.
- Wear protective footwear when needed.
- Wash and clean your feet daily.
Causes of ingrown toenails:
- Inappropriately trimmed nails
- Pressure from ill-fitting shoes
- Toe injuries from normal activities
When to see a Doctor for Ingrown Toenails Katy TX
See your doctor if you:
- Experience severe discomfort/pain in your toe.
- Anytime an ingrown toenail has developed into an infection with the following symptoms drainage, a fever, lighter skin surrounded by red skin, or worsening pain and swelling
- Have diabetes or another condition that results in poor blood flow to your feet withd experience any foot sore or infection.
Treatment Options for Ingrown Toenails Katy TX
- Avoid tight shoes
- Trim them straight, not any longer than the tip of the toes
- Keep from rounding off corners
- Utilize toenail clippers
- Avoid the use of over-the-counter medications, and self-treatment of infected nails.
- People who are suffering from diabetes, peripheral vascular disease, or other circulatory disorders should never try self-treatment at any cost. Please call our office for an appointment.
- Our doctors have successfully treated thousands of ingrown toenails. There is no downtime involved and you can resume normal activities immediately.